What is a Police Clearance Certificate?
A Police Clearance Certificate is the certificate issued by the Criminal Record Center of the South African Police Services which is a record of your convictions. This certificate is widely known as a Police Clearance Certificate, Police Clearance, Criminal Record, Arrest Record, Criminal Record, Certificate of Good Conduct etc.
A police certificate is a copy of your criminal record or a declaration of the absence of any criminal record. Police certificates are different in each country and territory and may be called police clearance certificates, good conduct certificates, judicial record extracts, rap sheet, arrest record etc. They are issued by police authorities or government departments. In South Africa Police Clearance Certificates are issued by the Criminal Record center of the SAPS.
Process to apply for a Police Clearance Certificate.
A) Obtain a set of official fingerprints
- In South Africa yo must obtain the from your local Police Station. Important if you pay the R 59 at the police Station in South Africa add the receipt to your documents.
- If you are out of South Africa you must obtain them from a official fingerprint taker in your host country which can include the police services, post office or a appointed fingerprint taker.
- The fingerprints must be a full set taken on a official fingerprint form.
- If the host country does not want to use their fingerprints you can download the SAPS fingerprints from here.
B) Download and complete the Application for a Police Clearance
C) Download and complete the client sheet.
D) Download Instruction sheet and check list.
E) Make a good quality copy of your ID or passport.( Does not need to be certified)
F) Courier above documents to us at: (Documents can also be delivered)
Q-Consultants. 57 Swarthout Street, Doringkloof, Centurion, Gauteng, South Africa, 0157
H)Lead Time approximately 15 working days in 85% plus instances
Track the progress of your Police Clearance here:
- Your application will usually be visible here after about 5 working days.
- The certificate is usually ready for collection about 2 working days after showing as finalised.
I) On receipt of the application for a Police Clearance Certificate we will lodge the application at the Criminal Record Center of the South African Police Service in Pretoria for processing.
- We hand in and collect direct at the Criminal record centre Head Office.
- We visit the CRC on a daily basis to lodge, collect and follow up on he issue of Police Clearance Certificates.
J) Lead times for the issue of certificates.
- There is a minimum lead time of about 15 working days which is applicable on about 86% of the applications.
- If the applicant has a prior conviction, irrespective of the severity and time elapsed, add between 15 and 30 working days to the lead time.
- POLICE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATES CANNOT BE EXPEDITED.
- Very important !!! Lead times are estimates and not guarenteeed.
K) Cost and Fees:
- Service Fee excluding R 59-00 SAPS fingerprint processing fee R 395.
- If R 59-00 paid at SAPS for fingerprints please attach receipt to fingerprints.
- Courier fees in South Africa R 150.
- Courier Fees over the borders of South Africa R 525.
- Forex fees if paid from a financial institution outside of South Africa, including PayPal R 170-00
- Payment is due within 48 hours from invoice. No follow up on applications will be done before payment is received.
L)Checklist and Instructions.
Who needs a Police Clearance Certificate?
There is no hard and fast rule but the following can be taken as a guideline for a person 16 years and older who wants to immigrate, work or study in a foreign country you and your dependents may have to provide police certificates. Visa offices may also request certificates from students and temporary foreign workers.
- Wants to Emigrate.
- Wants permanent residency.
- Wants a work permit.
- Certain Visa applications.
- Certain types of occupations
Usually you must obtain Police Clearance Certificates from countries you visited for more than 6 consecutive months at a time.
How long is a Police Clearance Certificate valid for?
Again there is not a set rule but as a standard in the industry a maximum of 12 months. Some countries and organisations wants the police clearance certificates not to be older than 3 months. A re-issue can be obtained within six months of the originals certificate being issued.
What information will there be recorded on a South African Police Clearance Certificate?
The following information is usually recorded.
- Criminal judgements
- Outstanding traffic fines are not recorded.
- Judgement for Debt is not recorded.
Note: Certain criminal offences can be expunged after a period of 10 years has lapsed.
Can a Police Clearance Certificate be Legalized?
Official Police Clearance Certificates can be Apostatized, Legalized or Authenticated.
We can obtain a South African Police Clearance Certificate on your behalf even if you are outside of South Africa
OUR NEW COLLECTION SERVICE IN SOUTH AFRICA
- Complete application for Collection
- Make payment of R 180 into the supplied bank account
- Use your initials and surname as reference.
- Scan and email us the application for collection and proof of payment.
- We will arrange for collection the following working day.